End of an Era: Steve Jobs

Peter M. Brigham, MD pmbrig at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 15:27:34 EDT 2011

On Aug 25, 2011, at 12:24 AM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> On 8/24/11 7:26 PM, Charles Szasz wrote:
>> I hope that his health improves and that he able to enjoy
>> life more.
>
> I don't think that will happen. I watched a friend die of exactly what Jobs has. Given how passionately Jobs loved Apple, I suspect he hung on as long as he possibly could. If he's in the same shape as my friend was, I suspect he has very little time left.
>
> I hope I'm wrong.

Although details have been lacking, my understanding is that he has had a rare kind of pancreatic cancer, not the kind that 99% of people get, which has an average life expectancy of 8 months after diagnosis (!). He was diagnosed in 2004, had a liver transplant in 2009, and has survived 7 years since diagnosis. However, anything requiring a liver transplant is very serious, as is just living with a liver transplant. All bets are off re how long he has. My hopes are also with him that he still has some years left, but it's hard to count on that.