Shell and Background Jobs

Nonsanity form at nonsanity.com
Wed Aug 24 01:04:57 EDT 2011

Okay, it's a ugly hack, but it gets the job done.

I wrote an AppleScript that fetches it's input from a text file, then calls
the Unix shell line for me, which redirects output to another text file (the
original purpose). Saved as an application.

On the LiveCode side, I write the input to the text file and then do an
"open process for neither" (or just "launch") of the AppleScript app.
Unfortunately, it comes to the front, but I'll deal with that later.
LiveCode continues to run nicely. It monitors the progress of the app with
short shell calls instead of the "open process" functions, which didn't seem
to be able to tell me when the AppleScript ended. "ps" and a "grep" or two
work fine.

When LC detects that the AppleScript has finished, it fetches the output
text file and continues with the processing. All the while, LC is also
monitoring the output of another process that WAS successfully backgrounded
using the shell() function. I don't know why THAT one works and others
don't. I'm glad it does though. It's a call to HandBrake and can take a
whole day to complete sometimes. (I've restricted it's thread use so it
doesn't hog the CPU - The price to pay for that is slowness.)

So aside from getting the AppleScript app to stay hidden when it launches -
or at least reasserting LiveCode to the foreground immediatly after it
starts - it looks like this solution will work.

I'd like to know if other people get the same results to my shell("sleep 5
&") test at the start of this thread on Macs or Linux systems. Maybe it's
just me...

 ~ Chris Innanen
 ~ Nonsanity