Shell and Background Jobs

Mark Schonewille m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com
Tue Aug 23 17:14:14 EDT 2011

Hi Chris,

Don't believe everything that's written. I can imagine that some command line apps don't work well with the open process command, but quite a few work fine. I did a tutorial for the LiveCode.tv event, showing how to use open process to write to and read from telnet. Closing the process was a bit of a hassle, but telnet itself works fine as a process.

If everything fails, you can write a shell script and run that from AppleScript or tell the Finder to run the AppleScript app that starts the shell script etc... There are quite a few workarounds available in Mac OS X.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com