UITextField & UITextView examples?

Mark Schonewille m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com
Tue Aug 23 07:23:07 EDT 2011

Hi,

Here's an example. It is a silly one, but it works.

Make a graphic with the following script:

on mouseUp
     try
          iPhoneControlCreate "input","test"
          iPhoneControlSet "test","rect",the rect of grc 1
          iPhoneControlSet "test","text","hi"
          put iPhoneControlGet("test","text") into x
          iPhoneControlDelete "test"
          answer x
     catch err
          answer err
     end try
end mouseUp

It will set and get the text from the UITextView. If you want to have a UITextView permanently available for editing, you need to create it when the stack opens:

on openStack
     iPhoneControlCreate "input","Sample"
     iPhoneControlSet "Sample","rect",the rect of grc 1
     iPhoneControlSet "Sample","visible",true
end openStack

The line that makes the UITextView visible is essential, because it is invisible by default (an incomprehesible choice IMHO). Set the script of the graphic to:

on mouseUp
     iphoneControlDo "Sample", "focus"
end mouseUp

Whenever you need the text, you can access the text property using the iPhoneControlGet function.

It is quite a shame that UITextFields aren't built into LiveCode as native objects. I wish we wouldn't need to think about whether we're using Android, iPhone or Windows. Alas, these objects are simulated rather than native, making it quite a hassle to use them. Consequently, there is no simple-ish solution and reading this lesson http://qery.us/xu is necessary to understand how UITextViews work.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com