Grabbing the Date and Time From a Time Server on the Internet

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Mon Aug 15 18:19:01 EDT 2011

I may have sent you a version that was bugged. This is the final one I came up with:

function realTime theFormat, useOffset
   if useOffset is empty then put false into useOffset
   put "http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/timer.pl" into theURL
   get url theURL
   put it into theResult
   filter theResult with "<BR>*UTC*"
   replace "<BR>" with empty in theResult
   put word 1 to 3 of theResult into theResult
   if useOffset then
      put word -1 of theResult into theTime
      put word -1 of the internet date into theZoneOffset
      put theZoneOffset /100 into theZoneOffset
      set the itemdelimiter to ":"
      put (item 1 of theTime + theZoneOffset) into item 1 of theTime
      put theTime into word -1 of theResult
   end if

   if theFormat is "seconds" then
      put word -1 of theResult into theResult