Cursor woes

Peter M. Brigham, MD pmbrig at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 08:39:48 EDT 2011

I much prefer never to lock the cursor -- it tends to stay locked at odd moments. Instead try setting "the defaultcursor."

The problem of your cursor changes not happening as expected probably comes down to where the script is -- it may not be in the message path for some reason, maybe you are trapping mousemove in some individual controls, etc. One approach is to use a frontscript:

Put these in the script of card 1 of your standalone main stack

on openstack
   insert the script of btn "myFrontScript" of stack "someStack" into front
   pass openstack
end openstack

/*
If you're working in the IDE, you might want to put this in the same place, so the frontscript down't persist when you move on to other projects:

on closestack
   remove the script of btn "myFrontScript" of stack "someStack" from front
   pass closestack
end closestack
*/

Script of btn "myFrontScript":

on mousemove
   if "button" is word 1 of the target then
      set the defaultcursor to hand
   else
      set the defaultcursor to empty
   end if