[OT] Internet Censorship

Pete pete at mollysrevenge.com
Thu Aug 11 17:17:45 EDT 2011

I'm thought musical works entered the public domain after some number of
years (I forget how many) following the composer's death.  One of the
problems is that there is no international definition of public domain, all
countries have their own.  It's possible the publishing companies (not the
composers) still hold the copyright to the songs you mentioned though.

Having tried on many occasions to get the bottom of when I have to pay
mechanical license fees for what I record, how I get paid performance
royalties for radio stations playing my recordings, how ASCAP and BMI figure
out what they pay out to their members (which actually amounts to zero
unless you happen to be Bruce Springsteen or the like), it's clear to me
that whole area of music copyright and royalties is a huge, impossible to
understand, mess.

Pete