Questions About LiveCode Apps That Connect to the Internet

Gregory Lypny gregory.lypny at videotron.ca
Wed Aug 10 11:33:23 EDT 2011

Hello everyone,

I’m building a standalone for my students.  It will allow them to upload quizzes and small assignments to my Mac via FTP as well as participate in various experiments and surveys.  I have a few Internet-related questions that I hoping someone can answer.

Is there a handler I can include in the stack that would allow it to detect whether the user is connected to the Internet?  That would allow me to give them the option of working offline.

How can I get the current date and time from either a time server or my remote Mac?  I need to timestamp student submissions and want the time coming from one source, not their own machines.

What is the best way to catch common FTP errors, such as a file not existing, so that I can relay a message back to the users?

Much obliged,

Gregory