Converting HTTP to FTP URL

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Aug 8 11:28:27 EDT 2011

On 8/8/11 12:44 AM, Mark Wieder wrote:

> So here's my confusion about this: just because a user has http
> hosting doesn't necessarily mean they have ftp hosting or that they
> have an ftp account set up. And if they *do* have an ftp account and
> already know their username and password, wouldn't they also know the
> ftp address? And if they know all that (still with me?) why not just
> ask for four pieces of data instead of three?

Agree. And, having looked at the responses here, I agree with Jeff too
that trying to figure out a valid FTP path will cause more support
headaches than just requiring that the user figure it out.

I don't think I need four pieces of data, only two valid paths. No one
seems to have any trouble with the HTTP path, so that leaves just one
potential headache.

Not counting the one I developed myself over the weekend, of course...

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com