[OT] Flash is NOT Dead

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Aug 3 09:17:02 EDT 2011

Kay C Lan wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 12:12 AM, Lynn Fredricks <
> lfredricks at proactive-intl.com> wrote:
>

>> Hey Kay - wow, that site has an annoying pop up. If you don't want to join,
>> that pop up doesn't go away and won't let you read the article.
>>
>> Sorry, no idea, I run Firefox 5.0.1 with the NoScripts 2.1.2.5 Add-on
> installed:
>
> http://noscript.net/
>
> For me the linked page loaded, no pop-ups, no sign-ups, non
> google-analytics.com, no googleadservices.com, no ..... just an article from
> someone else who's opinion is more extreme than mine.
>
> I recommend NoScripts

+1 on NoScript: makes browsing faster and safer.  Sure, it breaks some
sites that rely on JavaScript, so you'll need to become comfortable
turning on scripting for sites that need it, but for myself this is a
modest price to pay for control over what happens in my browser.

More interestingly, NoScript turns out to be very much on topic in this
thread about Flash:

With Flash you could turn off ads.  But as those ads migrate to HTML5,
you'll have to turn off all JavaScript to turn off ads, which will also
turn off some or all of the functionality of a web site as well.

The article you linked to a couple days ago presented one way Apple may
win the anti-Flash battle while losing the HTML5 war:  making it easy to
build rich application experiences right in the browser, bypassing
Apple's App Store.

And now NoScript reminds us of another loss in this war, this one for
end-users:  the ability to turn off rich-media ads.

We were told (among other fallacies) that Flash media were the source of
battery drain and therefore not acceptable in Apple's iOS.

But as Apple works to migrate rich content to HTML5, all that
pixel-pushing will eat up the clock cycles we were told we'd be saving
by not using Flash.

And unlike Flash, you won't be able to turn it off.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World