[OT] Flash is NOT Dead

Chipp Walters chipp at altuit.com
Tue Aug 2 17:56:34 EDT 2011

Sorry to spoil the celebration, but Flash still has a strong role to play on the Internet, albeit not with iOS. Google has graciously given Apple a huge head start in the tablet wars, but to call them 'over' would be as silly as saying Flash is dead. I seem to recall reading recently that over 70% of online videos are compiled with Flash.

I know it was a pleasant surprise when I clicked on a link on my new Android Tablet and it went to a website and played the header Flash animation, instead of showing a blank div.

Up until recently, Android tablets could no way compete with iPads. That's now changing. Just as those who cried "Apple is dead," there will be others shouting from the peanut galleries about Flash being doomed.

How ironic to be having this discussion in an LC forum where we all only wish we could have one tenth the market penetration of Flash.

Chipp Walters
CEO, Shafer Walters Group, Inc