Startup message anomaly?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Apr 22 11:12:52 EDT 2011

On 4/22/11 3:43 AM, Graham Samuel wrote:
> I've been taking the following description of the 'startup' message
> in the LS dictionary literally:
>
>> Sent to the first stack opened when the application starts up.
>
> Well AFAIK the real case is that this is true for a Mac standalone
> but not in a Windows standalone. In the latter case, the message is
> sent to the first CARD of the first stack and not to the stack
> itself. If you put the startup handler in the stack script of the
> mainstack, nothing happens! OTOH a startup handler in the stack
> script of a Mac standalone seems to work OK.
>
> Just in case I'm going crazy, can anyone else confirm this anomaly?
> If so, I'll report it. BTW, I seem to remember that in earlier
> versions of LC/RunRev, it 'startup' was always sent to the card.

As far as I know, all system messages are always sent to the current
card, including startup, on every OS. It's pretty common to place
handlers in the card script of the first card if you only want them to
run on startup.

Startup should be passed from the card to the stack normally on any
platform as long as you don't have a blocking handler in the card that
stops it. I think the docs are misleading about where the message is sent.

That said, I've seen some anomalies lately with the message path that I
can't quite pin down or get a recipe for.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com