Data-Entry in a LiveCode form using the tab key

Peter Brigham MD pmbrig at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 08:14:09 EDT 2011

Solved one part of the problem -- there has to be a "wait with messages" after the mouseclick. Without this the mousecontrol always returns empty. I have no idea why.

I haven't yet figured out how to change the cursor to ensure the user knows s/he is still in the doFieldOrder mode -- it doesn't stick after the first click. If you will be actually using this technique then I can investigate further to find a fix for that.

The following works except for the cursor problem. Right clicking ensures that the mouseclick is sent even with unlocked fields.

on doFieldOrder
   answer "RIght-click on the fields in the order you want." \
         && "When done, press the commandkey." as sheet
   repeat
      set the defaultcursor to hand
      -- why does this only work the first time??
      wait until (the mouseclick or the commandkey is down)
      if the commandkey is down then exit repeat
      wait 1 tick with messages
      put word 2 of the mousecontrol into mc
      put the long id of control mc into fID
      if not (fID begins with "field") then -- not a field
         answer "You must click on a field!"
         set the defaultcursor to hand -- try again
         next repeat
      end if
      select the text of fID -- user feedback
      wait 5
      select empty
      put word 3 of fID & cr after fldList -- short id
      set the defaultcursor to hand -- try again
   end repeat
   delete char -1 of fldList
   put fldList
   --  set the tabOrderList of this card to fldList
   set the defaultcursor to empty
   beep -- user feedback
end doFieldOrder

-- Peter