Rev/Livecode project and GPL Licenses

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Apr 18 16:27:49 EDT 2011

Mark Schonewille wrote:

> <quote>OpenVZ is free open source software, available under GNU GPL.
>
> OpenVZ is the basis of Parallels Virtuozzo Containers, a commercial virtualization solution offered by Parallels. OpenVZ project is supported by Parallels.</quote> http://wiki.openvz.org/Main_Page
>
> I'm not sure that this is the entire answer, but I do think it is very relevant.

Yes, I would agree:  while most of the money Parallels makes is from the
sale of proprietary software, their "Parallels Virtuozzo Containers"
isn't characterized by the company as a for-sale product per se, sold
under "Support and Services":
<http://www.parallels.com/store/support/virtuozzo/>

This is consistent with what I see with most GPL-governed software:  the
vendor has no expectations of meeting development costs through sales of
the compiled object code, but instead sells support and other services
to meet those expenses, as you noted in an earlier email.

With an IT-focused offering like Virtuozzo Containers that can work
well.  In fact, Red Hat is well on its way to bringing in more than US$1
billion this year - not bad for free software. :)

While this often works well for enterprise packages, it can be more
challenging to find an attractive mix of services priced high enough to
support the expense of developing a consumer product yet low enough to
get consumers to actually pay it.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World