iOS reliability of reachability on WIFI networks

Jim Lambert jiml at netrin.com
Fri Apr 15 19:51:34 EDT 2011

I have noticed a quirk with the experimental reachability function which makes the function untrustworthy in some WIFI situations.

reachabilityChanged will sometimes return an empty reachabilityInfo. This is supposed to indicate no internet connection at all.
However, other apps are able to connect!

Has anyone else experienced this?

This only happens intermittently (don't you hate that word?!) and unfortunately I have no recipe to force it to happen.
Although sometimes moving a device into the range a different WIFI network will sometimes cause the problem.

I have found that sometimes the problem can sometimes be corrected by turning on and then off airplane mode or shutting on or off the device's wifi setting.

Needless to say, as it stands, this experimental function isn't 100% reliable yet. Even though it is a lower priority function, Apple does require apps to properly notify users when an internet connection is no longer viable - such as when one travels outside a WIFI network's range. So, we really do need this to work reliably.

Thanks,
Jim Lambert