[OT] Upgrading to Ubuntu 11.04 Beta

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Mon Apr 4 23:59:52 EDT 2011

Folks,

Never try any Ubuntu Beta on a production machine. Every iteration they
break something that was working on the previous version. For every new
animal that Canonical releases there are a ton of improvements but they also
tend to have some regressions. There is a cautionary tale that I learned
late in the game about never ever touching a working linux. If you got your
linux desktop or server to work like you want then don't update unless there
is something that needs patching or you are in deep need for an adventure. I
have Ubuntu 6.04 running here on a little sheeva plug and I will NEVER
UPDATE IT because once I got it to work, I can never do it again. I am
running 10.04 on my current desktop and will not update to 11.x never unless
something breaks here.

Ubuntu versions are named after animals because they always need sometime
after release to stop barking and running at everything and just calming
down... wait for some months and things will behave again after regression
bugs are squashed...

I miss BSD....