data from USB joystick

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 13:25:56 EDT 2010

  On 26/09/2010 19:57PM, stephen barncard wrote:
> It's all on the net. Your cheapest and easiest solution is to use a Keyspan
> USB to serial adapter and Rs-232 serial protocol. Here's one hit from
> searching google for "joystick rs232". Sooner or later, some soldering may
> be required.
>
> Interfacing Atari-style joysticks to PC parallel and serial
> ports<http://www.epanorama.net/documents/joystick/pc_misc.html>

I think the above is missing the point; presumably David has a USB
joystick and a USB port
on his target computer; so no need to do "the down-and-dirty" with the
soldering iron.

What he needs to do is ascertain is, for example, whether the USB
joystick sends Unicode chars when
it is moved, rather like the chars for right-arrow and left-arrow on a
keyboard, and whether
they are interpreted by the computer as mouseDown and mouseStillDown
signals.

I have a Belkin Nostromo (silly gaming pad) which I use for
RunRev/LiveCode programming:
now it comes with a set-up control panel where one can set all the keys,
wheels and twiddly things
on it to do what one wants - having set up one's preferences
RunRev/LiveCode can pick up
whatever I do on the Nostromo without any trouble at all.

However, I suspect that David is trying to be somewhat cleverer than me,
insofar as he wants
to 'skip' the requirement of an intermediate, platform specific, set-up
panel / driver-thingy.

My own inclinations would be to run round the corner and buy a crappy
USB joystick and plug the
thing in, and then set up some silly little stack that will pick up the
signals from the USB stick

[ they cannot be that other-worldly ]

and see whether they can be interpreted as KeyDown, rawKeyDown type
signals . . .