[Reference] Good information about Mac OS X command line tools

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Wed Sep 22 11:50:44 EDT 2010

Andre-

Wednesday, September 22, 2010, 8:30:55 AM, you wrote:

> Folks,

> Sorry for the cross post but I think this interest both lists. Mr. Amit
> Singh has this resource since 2003:

>    http://osxbook.com/book/bonus/ancient/whatismacosx/tools.html

Great book. I picked up my hardcover copy at MacWorld Expo a few years
agao and consult my copy on a regular basis.

> There are lots of good tools in there, they all come with Mac OS X.
> Debugging rogue processess or server side stuff is easier once you know how
> to use a couple tools presented here. Specially fs_usage and tcpdump.

tcpdump is a good tool, but if you need to get serious about examining
network traffic you should try ngrep and/or WireShark.

http://ngrep.sourceforge.net/
http://www.wireshark.org/

--
-Mark Wieder