GOOSE BUMPS

Kevin Miller kevin at runrev.com
Tue Sep 21 11:18:45 EDT 2010

On 20/09/2010 20:02, "Timothy Miller" <gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com>
wrote:

> I don't understand the significance of the name change to LiveCode.
> Is this an internal reorganization or marketing strategy? Or has
> ownership changed?

The ownership has not changed.

>From the FAQ:

The new name more accurately conveys the benefits that are at the core of
the LiveCode platform: a fast, compile-free workflow. This core message is
more tightly associated with the unique selling points that are so important
to our customer base, including enabling a highly productive workflow,
outstanding ease-of-use, very-high-level English-like language and flexible
delivery to multiple platforms and devices from a single code base.

We found that since introducing the ³Rev² prefix we have introduced many new
products and services, notably including revMobile and revServer. The
product lineup was rapidly becoming complex and difficult to explain. These
products are now simply deployment packs for LiveCode. This new lineup is
much easier for both existing and new customers to understand. LiveCode
better conveys our mission, focus and technology. The LiveCode name will be
easier to locate in Internet searches. Rather than searching for ³Rev² or
³Revolution² which are buried with other unrelated items, or searching
individually for ³revMedia², ³revStudio² or ³revMobile², you can now perform
a single search for ³LiveCode².

Much of the brand recognition we have to date centers around the company
name ³RunRev², which is not changing. We haven¹t changed the product name in
the decade since its introduction (we have introduced variants but they have
always had ³Rev² or ³Revolution² in the name). We believe that by centering
all focus on a single, searchable word, the new brand will quickly overtake
the brand recognition previously associated with ³Rev² or ³Revolution² which
was actually quite difficult to brand.

----

I'll elaborate on that FAQ with a specific example that might be helpful:

One of the biggest practical issues we were coming up against with the old
name was it searchability. For example, we've had 5x the press coverage over
the last year than we had in the previous year, as measured by articles and
site traffic. And yet there is no one search term you can use to find it.
We've had coverage for revMobile, coverage for revEnterprise and in spite of
my spending an hour on the phone with a prominent journalist who wrote a
great review, he called it the wrong name. RunRev is the most used term and
press are using it to describe the product name because they want something
unique, but even that use is inconsistent. Rev is smart and catchy but go
and search for that in Google now and you'll see the problem. This whole
situation is was just not workable going forward. LiveCode is a fanstastic,
strong, clear new name that will quickly become highly searchable.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Kevin Miller ~ kevin at runrev.com ~ http://www.runrev.com/
LiveCode - Realize fast, compile-free coding