DataGrid Optimization question

zryip theSlug zryip.theslug at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 05:31:56 EDT 2010

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 12:58 AM, Bob Sneidar <bobs at twft.com> wrote:
> I was going to suggest that very thing, but stopped myself by thinking, "He probably has reasons for using datagrids that I am not aware of."
>
> But if you do not have needs for your "invisible" data that only a data grid can supply, yes you would be better off using a custom property.

Monte, Bob

Where the data of a datagrid are stored? In a custom property...

I give you two alternatives:
- store a data formatted for datagrids in a custom property of a
stack, a card, an object, etc
- store a data formatted for datagrids in a special object which
display the data in a snap if you need it as parameters behind the
scene and has is own API to manipulate your data easily: a datatagrid

What will be your best choice?

Andrew has made his choice, and I think that is far to be stupid.

Use SQLite to store the temporary data is a choice but I think not the
best in all the cases.
If you have other tables to manage in your stack, probably.
If you have to manage only a few things, why not use another datagrid
as a database? A datagrid is composed by columns (the fields) and by
rows (the records)

Plus it's really handy to copy the content of a datagrid in another.
With this trick you can create different views of the same datagrid.
You need only two datagrids: one behind the scene which contains all
your data and one used as a viewer.

If you are not convinced, I invite you to download the Step by Step
N#2 tutorial I wrote about datagrids or join the open beta of the Data
Grid Helper to download the plugin.
The visible datagrids of those stacks are able to display different
contents and data trees. How do you think I'm doing that with no
database?
Yes I'm using custom properties, the custom properties nested in the datagrids.

Regards,
--
-Zryip TheSlug- wish you the best! 8)
http://www.aslugontheroad.co.cc