Slow launch times on Windows 7

zryip theSlug zryip.theslug at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 14:57:19 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 8:14 PM, J. Landman Gay
<jacque at hyperactivesw.com> wrote:
> A customer has contacted tech support about an issue we can't solve, so I'd
> like to know if anyone else here has experienced it and what they did to fix
> it.
>
> The problem is very slow launch times of standalones on Windows 7, of up to
> a minute or more. It doesn't happen on any earlier versions of Windows.
>
> We had one other customer report the same thing, but it only occured on a
> small number of his Windows customer machines, and he solved it by
> reinstalling Win7 on those machines. His theory was that the Dells shipped
> with some setting that a reinstall changed. A Google query shows that lots
> of people are having similar slow launch problems on Win7 with other apps as
> well, so it isn't just a Rev problem. Many report that defragging the hard
> drive fixes it, but in this customer's case it did not. The customer says if
> he reduces the file size by removing all substacks, launch times improve --
> which would seem to support the defrag theory (fewer bytes to find,) but it
> didn't work for him. He is not running a virus scanner that would interfere.
>
> Has anyone else encountered the problem? Were you able to solve it?
>
> --
> Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com

Hi Jacque,

Our tech support has encountered a similar problem. If it is general
to all applications, a recent and automatic update of Microsoft
Silverlight, could slow applications.
Ask your customer if he has Silverlight installed. If yes he should
try to uninstall it. Sometime you have to restart windows in safe
mode, because Silverlight slows the system too.

Regards,
--
-Zryip TheSlug- wish you the best! 8)
http://www.aslugontheroad.co.cc