how to identify a 64-bit Windows machine in Rev

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Sep 14 20:37:43 EDT 2010

On Sep 13, 2010, at 6:06 PM, Phil Davis wrote:

>  Does anyone have a clear-cut way for Rev to know whether it's
> running in a 32-bit or a 64-bit environment on Windows?

Hardware CPU:

Under...

HKLM\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\0

...find...

Identifier     REG_SZ

If 64 is in the value, the hardware is 64.  If x86 is, you don't know

ProcessorStringName

If 64 is in the name, the hardware is 64.  Otherwise, you don't know.

OS:

You can check the environment variable PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE.

If 64 in the value, then you seem to be running a 64-bit Rev on a 64-
bit system.

Otherwise look at environment variable PROCESSOR_ARCHITEW6432.  If 64
is in the value, you are running on a 64-bit OS.  If it is x86, then
you are running a 32-bit OS.

You can also look for a folder normally only found in the 64-bit OS,
such as "\\program files (x86)".  If it is there, the OS is very
likely 64.  If it is missing, the OS is very likely 32-bit.  I don't
know if reinstalling over another OS will affect this.

If the OS is 64, then the hardware is.

Dar