revObjective & settings palettes

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Fri Sep 10 00:57:08 EDT 2010

Hi Everyone

Now that revObjective is in the wild I'm realising that the more complex an object you make the more you want to give it it's own settings/inspector palette. What do people think of the following idea?

Each revObjective custom control is saved in it's own stack file so I was thinking of providing a substack to be a settings palette to edit the custom properties of the selectedobject related to the custom control. The substack would open along with the mainstack when you click "Edit" in revObjective. A new "Inspector" button to open the substack as a palette would be added to revObjective which would be enabled like the Add button whenever there is a selected object. Once open these substacks would switch/hide depending on if the selectedobject has a  revObjective based behavior and which object it is etc.

Does all that make sense? Maybe it's overkill when you can document and expect people to edit the custom properties but I can imagine a day when most of the objects I use are pulled out of revObjective and much of my maintenance work therefore is done once and propagated to all my apps just like I do with standard library stacks. With groups with backgroundBehavior set to true we can even have library like code libraries without adding complexity to the message path.

Cheers

--
Monte Goulding
M E R Goulding Software Development

InstallGadget - How to create an installer in 10 seconds
revObjective  - Making behavior scripts behave