Functionality AND good taste?

David Glasgow david at dvglasgow.wanadoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 8 06:00:55 EDT 2010

Hello folks,

I am being encouraged by customers to update and improve a Rev built product I produced many years ago.  I have a wish list for functionality changes, but I am slightly depressed at how ugly and old the original looks.  I have decided to start again from scratch, so there are no limitations on what I can do, other than those imposed by Rev and my abilities (mostly the latter).

I have no background in design, but would like to make the product look better and up to date.  I know I can pretty much change the appearance of anything in Rev, but this is a serious product for technical use, so I am not thinking oval windows and faux glass skins.   I also strongly subscribe to the view that less is more, so I don't want reflections and things swooshing about.  Are there any books or online resources on making software look simple and good?

Thanks

Best Wishes,

David Glasgow
Carlton Glasgow Partnership