[OT] Browsing the internet... It is safer from Linux?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Sun Oct 31 16:16:49 EDT 2010

Recently, Richard Gaskin wrote:

>> It is in many cases the virus makers themselves who infect Windows,
>> and then use FAKE anti-virus messages that offer to cleanse your
>> machine "for a fee".
>
> URL?
>
> I'm sometimes prone to notions that seem conspiratorial myself, but
> while this meme has been floating around for a few years I've not yet
> been able to find any actual case where this has been demonstrated to
> have happened.

I'm surprised you've never come across this Richard.  Several weekends ago I
spent several hours getting rid of this one on my father-in-law's laptop:

<http://deletemalware.blogspot.com/2010/10/how-to-remove-smart-engine-malwar
e.html>

These things been around for years and are only getting better (more
"official" looking and more difficult to remove).

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX Design