[OT] Browsing the internet... It is safer from Linux?

Roger.E.Eller at sealedair.com Roger.E.Eller at sealedair.com
Sun Oct 31 15:34:56 EDT 2010

Richmond wrote:
> The first thing I do when I install Mac OS X on a machine is enable the
> ROOT account; that is dead easy;
> especially as the Mac OS HELP system tells you how to do it. Set up the
> FIREWALL, SHARING and so on.
>
> Windows, on the other hand, starts telling you to fork out extra moolah
> for anti-virus stuff . . .

Incorrect, to a degree.  It is in many cases the virus makers themselves
who infect Windows, and then use FAKE anti-virus messages that offer to
cleanse your machine "for a fee".  The average non-tech-savy user will pay
the ransom.  However, the free-edition of AVG has protected my computers
for years.  However, recently a Trojan slipped through, and I switched to
"Microsoft Security Essentials" (also free), on the recommendations of
several trusted colleagues.  It isn't Windows that is bad, it is
SkyNet.   ;-)   Sorry, I'm watching the Sarah Conner Chronicals.

~Roger