[OT] Browsing the internet... It is safer from Linux?

Mike Bonner bonnmike at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 18:15:15 EDT 2010

If you're only wanting to browse, and are not sure a particular site
can be trusted, you might try using a live linux cd and browse from
there.  Might not hurt to unmount your hard drive partition if you do
this just as an added layer of protection. Some live cd's auto mount
what they can find, some don't.

I run clamXav on my mac just because i was curious, but have never
found anything with it.

As far as downloading updates with linux, if you download something
with a trojan, and transfer it to your windows machine, you can still
get nailed unless your windows AV or malware scanner picks it up.  In
many cases it boils down to whether you believe the site you are
downloading from can be trusted or not.

I ran windows for a lot of years and didn't have too much trouble. Was
surely not trouble free by any means.  In some ways, I think its worse
now.  Cross session hijacking, clickjacking, browser exploits.  With
things moving closer and closer to being cloud based, I suspect things
are going to get really really ugly before they get better.  Just my
opinion though.