Auto-updating apps, and splash screens.

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu Oct 28 19:21:47 EDT 2010

I have a little app that will be used on a number of computers, so I
want it to check for a new version being available, and update itself if
needed (and desired).  I know the easy way to do this is to have the
executable be basically a 'splash screen' that starts the *real* stack,
and therefore the real stack can be updated.
Does anyone have a sample stack / app showing this ?

And, what do you as app users prefer

1. The app automatically updates itself when a new version is available.
2. The app downloads the new version automatically, and then (next
time?) on startup asks if you want to install the update.
3. The app lets yo know there is a new version available, and asks if it
should download / install the update.
4. Something else.

Thanks
-- Alex.