[OT] Mac App Store

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Oct 23 12:19:38 EDT 2010

Kay C Lan wrote:

> I believe Steve's last 'will spell the end of Apple' decision was made about
> 30 April when Apple stock was around $261.09.

Apple's stock price <> third-party developer revenue.

As a shareholder, I think moving 30% of the Mac world's software revenue
into their own pocket is one of the most brilliant business moves in the
company's history.

For Apple.

For developers it's a bit different.

Take a good look long at OS X 10.7's Launch Pad and consider the
implications.

Once independent web distribution means a 30% loss to Apple, it would be
a slap in the face to their shareholders if Apple didn't do everything
possible to communicate to their audience that App Store apps are the
only cool ones, the only convenient ones, the only safe ones;
ultimately, the only desirable ones.

While it may seem comical today, this dialog box may not be completely
unimaginable a year or two from now:
<http://livecodejournal.com/blog.irv?pid=1287696062.654893>

As a developer that's frightening, but as a shareholder I would expect
nothing less.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World