Keyboards

Paul Looney simplsol at aol.com
Fri Oct 22 15:08:00 EDT 2010

Mike,
Nice to hear from someone who takes typing seriously.
I've found keyboard preferences are as personal as spouse preferences.
Some people regard noise in a keyboard as a sign of quality; some
people think silence in a keyboard is a sign of quality. Some like a
long key travel, some prefer short keystrokes. Some don't care enough
to notice a difference.
For me, one advantage of buying a Mini over an iMac is that I would
not be tempted to use another "free" Apple keyboard - which I think
is numb, lacks sculptured keys, has no auditory response and is (for
me) more pain than joy to use.
Attached to my Mini is a Unicomp Model M. Do a Goggle search and
you'll find this is rightly regarded by many keyboard affectionatos
as the best keyboard ever. I love it. It is an absolute joy to use. I
look forward to typing on it every day.
But...
I've loaned it to people with mixed results. About half immediately
bought one for themselves. Others complained that it was too noisy.
One thought it was too heavy?!? Younger users thought the keystrokes
were too long (I suspect they had never used anything other than a
scissor switch keyboard) - if you are accustomed to banging the keys
to the bottom to assure that they have made contact, it takes awhile
to realize that you don't need to do that with a good keyboard - with
the M you get both auditory feedback (the "clickety clack") and
tactile feedback (as the keyspring buckles) - not only faster, but a
lot more comfortable.
If you are considering an M:
1. Don't let the price scare you. If you use a keyboard daily the
lack of pain will pay for the M shortly - I type a lot, I've had two
bouts of carpal tunnel trauma with prior keyboards - expensive and
not much fun. The M will out-last several computers - when the time
comes to upgrade your Mini, keep the M. Keep it for a couple decades
if you wish.
2. The keys on the M have not been rearranged in almost 30 years.
Compare with Apple keyboards where F-keys do different things with
different models; where some Apple keyboards require you to use the
Fn key with the F-key and other Apple keyboards require you to NOT
use the Fn key for the same action. For years the Enter key floated
around different locations at the bottom of Apple's smaller keyboards
- now it is gone (replaced by Fn Return - how handy is that?) This
problem goes away with an M (or any other external keyboard); you can
set it up as you wish - and use it with your next five or ten
computers - without relearning key layout.
3. Unicomp does not mention this on their website, but you can get
"Mac" keys (Command and Option) for $10. You must order by phone and
ask for them.
4. Change the default Windows layout to Mac layout in the Keyboard
system preferences (swap the Windows key and the Alt key to Option
and Command). With Snow Leopard you can do this per keyboard - very
handy if you have the M connected to a laptop and use the M in the
office and the laptop's keyboard on the road. BTW the name for the M
in the Keyboard system preference is "Endura" - very  appropriate.
5. For the record: I got the Customizer 104/105, USB, Buckling Spring
(of course!), US English, Pearl White model. Doing it today, I might
be tempted to get black with metallic grey (would probably match the
current Mini better).

If you don't go the M route, consider adding some sound to the
keyboard you get. I use Keyclick from Sustainable Softworks on my
laptop. I find it helps me type faster. Obviously it is not needed
with an M. One advantage it has over the M: you can adjust the volume.

Let us know if you have more keyboard questions.

Paul Looney