[OT] Mac App Store

Chipp Walters chipp at altuit.com
Thu Oct 21 19:10:33 EDT 2010

Nice article, Lynn.

One thing it made me think of, is the incredible role the Internet has played in software business development models. Previous to the Internet, the software "Kingmakers" consisted primarily of the MacWorlds, MacUsers, etc. and companies with deep enough pockets to advertise with them, and they together controlled the public perception of what software was "good to buy."

Then the Internet came and almost immediately allowed for the small, single-man developer to access thousands of independent minded customers by simply putting a page on the web. Once they sold a few copies, they were able to build a bit larger company and start to focus directly on new features and products through customer feedback. This same channel became their target market, and it succeeded mostly due to the immediate nature of direct marketing.

Heck, I first purchased TechSmith's SnagIt years ago, then Camtasia soon after it launched. I now get an email every so often with an upgrade discount offer I can't resist. They receive 100% of the revenue, all for the cost of a single email. This won't happen anymore with the new AppStore.

I don't suspect any of these developers will be happy UNLESS they can continue selling their products through traditional channels AS WELL as the Mac AppStore-- AND receive the customer registration information from the AppStore when a sale is made. I'll be surprised if Apple allows for both of these things to happen.

I believe Apple is trying an end run stategy to bypass the Internet, and become the new Kingmaker of software, much like they've been able to do with the music industry. I suspect if you could turn back the clocks, many music execs would've acted much different before it all started to go Apple's way.

If you want a laugh, check out Richard's recent blog post over at LiveCodeJournal.com:
http://livecodejournal.com/blog.irv

Chipp Walters
CEO, Shafer Walters Group, Inc