[OT] Mac App Store

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 14:04:30 EDT 2010

On 10/21/2010 08:51 PM, Jim Sims wrote:
> On Oct 21, 2010, at 7:36 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> Ambrosia Software president Andrew Welch voiced similar concerns.
>>
>>    "Ambrosia is certainly interested in the idea of a centralized
>>    Mac application store,"
> With VersionTracker gone, folded into download.com, download.com is abysmal as far as I am concerned, there isn't much left.
>
> Apple is stepping in at the right time - for them.
>
> What concerns me most (in addition to not getting customer information!), is the consumer of apps/software will probably be expecting iPhone/iPad prices.
>
> When I read a comment that "$1.99 is way too much" for something some guy worked really hard at, I shake my head.
>
> This sort of expectation might be carried over - after all, to the consumer it's just like the iTunes store - to the "App Store".  You have to sell an awful lot of $1.99 apps to make rent money every month.
>
> sims

Well; $1.99 might be all an "also ran" app is worth; if one does a
cursory search on MacUpdate one finds
all awful lot of "also rans" and an awful lot of apps that do pretty
much the same thing; therefore if
everybody charges $1.99 you are in a tight corner if your rent money
depends on that.

I would suppose that the 'trick' (which is no trick at all) is make an
app that is unique and fills a niche,
and the charge more than $1.99 for it.

Now if some swack lot, such as Apple, are telling you that you can only
charge $1.99, they are
skimming the cream off that, and they get their sweaty paws on details
of all who buy your
'thang' it is time to tell them to "boil their heads" and market it your
way.

AND, should that mean that, opwing to some sort of "berlin Wall' erected
by Jobs & Co., you
are unable to push your product for Macintosh; dump Macintosh (only
about 10-15% of the
market) and push at Windows (a big, big chunk of the market, like it or
not) and at Linux
(getting bigger, especially if Apple turns into North Korea number 2).

Of course, "Loony Richmond" is still whispering 'RISC OS' at the
non-receptive ears of
RunRev; think about it; RISC OS is, no; IS, about 75% of all embedded
systems!!!