Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Oct 20 14:18:57 EDT 2010

Bob Sneidar wrote:

 > I mean that Dell will not repair your computer beyond the 3 years
 > extended warranty, because they have no infrastructure to do that.
 > Apple will repair a 10 year old computer if they still have parts,
 > as long as you are willing to pay for it...

For their prices I can usually find another local vendor for my
out-of-warranty machines.

Then again, I can both save more and learn more doing most repairs myself.

 > ...and I happen to live down the street from an Apple store (not
 > everyone has that luxury I know).

In my experiences attempting repairs through the Apple store they don't
do much in the store, and send most of it out to a remote center which
they tell me takes between two and four weeks.

I live near two Apple Stores, and I prefer a local authorized repair
center over the Apple store.  At this place (Di-No in Pasadena) they
make appointments, order the parts, and you only bring in your machine
when the parts arrive to bring your downtown as close to zero as possible.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World