Franklin Audio Intro Pricing Ends Soon; New Testable Too!

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Oct 20 11:49:44 EDT 2010

Bob Sneidar wrote:

 >> <snip>
 >
 >> My last purchase was a Dell laptop, and I've been impressed with the
 >> good performance and solid construction of the machine.  I got that
 >> one second-hand, but now that I know how to get OS-less computers
 >> from Dell my next one will probably be from them.
 >
 > Just be aware that beyond the extended 3 year warranty (which you
 > pay extra for) Dell offers NO SERVICE WHATSOEVER. That means if
 > your laptop dumps at 1 year and 1 day and you didn't get the extended
 > warranty, your are SOL.

Are you talking about Dell or Apple? ;)

As a long-time Apple customer, I'm accustomed to paying extra for the
extended warranty.  The Apple support forums are full of sad stories of
people who didn't get it, but since I always do with every computer I've
generally had a good experience with the many Mac repairs I've needed
over the years.

 > Of course, they might sell you a warranty if you don't tell them
 > the computer is broke. After 3 years you cannot get any parts or
 > get repairs at an authorized Dell service center, because THERE
 > ISN'T ANY SUCH THING.

After three years I generally order parts via Ebay and pull out my
screwdriver, with all makes.

Once the warranty is gone, I'm free to mod at will. :)

 > I was buying Dells for the Church up till I learned that little
 > tidbit. Now it's HP's I think.

I like HPs too.  A couple of their models are very attractive, and
apparently they offer the same OS-free option through their business sales.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World