on-rev remote database

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Oct 19 13:59:27 EDT 2010

Whiskey Tango?

What Len Morgan wrote was:
 > This is all a moot point now since I have just been informed by
 > Heather that the only way the on-rev server can be set up to do
 > this is if you give them all of the IP addresses that people are
 > going to connect from and they will allow those IP addresses to
 > connect.

Unless I missed something earlier in this thread, it seems he's writing
about blocking access based on IPs, and all Heather did was remind him
of what Pierre wrote here, that given the majority of folks who use
dynamic IPs that isn't practical.

FWIW, On-Rev does indeed provide unlimited databases:

    MySQL 5.0.67 Databases: Unlimited
    PostgreSQL Databases: Unlimited
<http://www.on-rev.com/hosting/features-chart/>

Back to the original topic, granting/restricting access based on IPs is
risky and prone to error if any of your users have dynamic IPs, for the
reasons Pierre noted earlier this morning.

IP-based restrictions can be somewhat useful for some institutional
customers where fixed IP ranges can be known to belong to the customer.
  I use it myself on a subscription site I manage for a client, but not
as an alternative to login authentication but merely as an extra
restriction on top of the login requirement; I would never rely on IP
address alone.

With individual users on dynamic IPs, the risk is that the IP they're
using right now may be reassigned to someone else later, providing
unauthorized access to unknowable individuals.  Granting access by range
only exacerbates the risk.

So while it's sometimes useful, IP-based access doesn't appear to be a
practical option for Mr. Morgan, leaving him to consider more
conventional options like a simple login as most sites require for
authenticated access.

Andrew, you can hopefully breathe easier now.  Relax and enjoy your
unlimited databases.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World