fun with elevated processes

Phil Davis revdev at pdslabs.net
Thu Oct 14 12:56:37 EDT 2010

  Hi Ken,

On 10/14/10 9:34 AM, Ken Ray wrote:
>>    I can now easily restart Apache from a LC handler:
>>
>> on mouseUp
>>      constant kRestartApache = "apachectl -k graceful"
>>      open elevated process kRestartApache for neither
>>      if the result<>  empty then
>>         answer "Could not restart server."
>>         close process kRestartApache
>>      end if
>>      -- process will normally close itself when finished
>> end mouseUp
> That's cool, Phil! What did you have to do before 'open elevated process'?

I would have used an AppleScript approach:

   put "do shell script" \
&& quote & kRestartApache & quote \
&& "with administrator privileges" \
       into tAppleScriptCommand

   do tAppleScriptCommand as appleScript

> Does this take the place of trying to pass an admin password on the command
> line?

Yes! The "elevated" keyword apparently causes Rev to ask the OS to do its admin
dialog thing before running the process.