shell command to identify wireless printer

Peter Brigham MD pmbrig at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 18:12:55 EDT 2010

I'm looking for the shell command that would include in its output
something that would identify a printer that is currently wirelessly
connected to my MacBook. I can use shell("ioreg") to get info on a
printer connected via USB (after some parsing), but my wireless
printer connection doesn't show up in the ioreg listing. What command
can I use to see how the system identifies a wireless printer? I need
to be able to confirm before printing from a stack that the wireless
connection to the printer is up and running.

If it matters, the wireless connection is not a Bonjour connection --
it's a PC wireless network. I can print fine using the printer, so the
connection is good, and functional.

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com