[OT} (slightly) Anyone knows an affordable HD recovery service?

Terry Judd tsj at unimelb.edu.au
Tue Oct 5 18:28:26 EDT 2010

If you disk is dodgy but not completely stuffed you might have some success
connecting it to another Mac in Firewire target disk mode or by starting it
up from the install DVD, firing up the terminal and using ditto to copy
stuff across to an external hard drive. I managed to toast two internal hard
drive on my near new MacBook Pro recently in the space of two weeks recently
and was able to recover a lot of stuff this way, despite the fact that the
MacBook wouldn't boot up and the disk was making all sorts of bad clicking
noises.

Terry...