adding new object to background group

Mark Smith Mark_Smith at cpe.umanitoba.ca
Sun Oct 3 12:49:45 EDT 2010

I'd like to add a button to an existing background group, but RR/LC is
telling me if I do that I am going to loose the background with that group
on it from all previous cards. And it does.

Here's what I did. Added the button. Selected the existing background group
(group 1031) and the new object and selected group. I get a warning that if
I do this I will loose the background from existing cards, I say ok. Sure
enough the current card and all future cards (now group 1095) contain the
new button, and all previous cards are blank (because the whole card was
just a background obj).

What I would really like to do is edit group 1031 to add a new button and
have it inherited on all previous cards. Is there a way to do that? I guess
putting this more generically, is there a way to edit a background group and
not loose all of the cards that previous had this group?

Thanks

-- Mark

PS I did get the compiling thing working (thank you for all you help). I'm
using the following at the moment (largely because of its simplicity) and it
works fine.

on preopenstack
   lock screen -- prevents the user from seeing what's going on
   hide this stack -- so they don't see it, same as set visible of stack
"mystack" to true
   go to stack "/Users/Mark/runrev/stacks/Notepad/Notepad3.rev"
end preopenstack

-- note this stack can be hard to edit subsequently because the preopenstack
message
-- hides the stack. You can get around this by using the application
browser, finding the stack
-- 'startup' and clicking on it. This will make it visible again.

The two things I had to learn in this scenario are 1) you must use the
extension .rev or the 'go to stack' function will not work and 2) you must
provide the full path.

-- Mark

PPSS I've bookmarked the more complex solution that allows storing the
notepad stack in the osx bundle (keep in mind I am referring to things I
don't even know what they are) and will work through it later.

Thanks again