Nine digit zip code

James Hurley jhurley0305 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 30 20:03:21 EST 2010

Bob and Pete,

Thanks for bringing this issue up.

Some years back the USPS's web site made it much easier to do batch
process of addresses.

When they changed it to make it more difficult, I wrote a letter to
the Postmaster General. (Yes, I know, really stupid.) I suggested that
they might instead make access to the full list more readily
available. After all the 9 digit zip makes their job of sorting and
delivery much easier. I also questioned the rationale of charging less
for bulk mailing, but making it more expensive by charging for the
data (9 digit zip) that makes it possible.

Unfortunately, the list is a money maker and the PO is perennially in
the red.

There is one application of the stack that shouldn't create a problem
and that is as a mechanism for validating an address. If the address
is not in their delivery DB, the return message reads: "The address
may be non-deliverable."

Jim