Error numbers

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Nov 30 14:19:54 EST 2010

Jeff Massung wrote:

> Honestly, this is something that's always urked me about Rev. With [almost]
> everything else being so user-friendly, error reporting is definitely not
> one of them. How hard could it possibly be to convert that into object,
> function name, line #?

Yeah, I've never seen anyone do that before.

Well, except Apple.

And Microsoft.

And Adobe.

And a few thousand others.

And like those companies a lookup table is provided, as Harold noted here:
<http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2010-November/149127.html>

The info in the Rev lookup table is a bit more helpful than most others
provide, and used with the other elements of the error info takes you
right to the line and offset of the offending token.

Hopefully you'll never see a -299 on OS X, because all Apple will tell
you is:

  Invalid qType*must be ORD(nmType)

<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2237?viewlocale=en_US>

:)