RTF documents as templates

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Mon Nov 29 16:27:24 EST 2010

Andrew,

I see this is at the end of a long-ish conversation (and I've not read
much of it :-)

So forgive me if this wild guess is way off track ....

The most likely cause of "some placeholders not being replaced" is that
the relevant variable is mistyped or otherwise doesn't exist.  The
effect of the double square brackets in a 'merge' string is to evaluate
what's between the brackets as though it was Livecode script - and using
a variable which doesn't exist simply evaluates to itself. So for instance

> put 1 into aaa
> put "[[aaa]] and [[bbb]]" into c
> put merge(c)
will result in the output

> 1 and bbb

i.e. it looks like the first placeholder was replaced and the second wasn't.

I hope that might be some help.

-- Alex.