Advantages of LC as high level language--examples

Jim Ault jimaultwins at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 29 15:44:28 EST 2010

I won't be much help in the 'concrete examples' area, but consider
these extras

To properly compile C++ you need the correct compliment of libraries
in your IDE for the platform & version.  As things evolve, you need to
keep separate dev environs for each version of a platform, and
sometimes even the processor type.

Selection/creation of interface elements are usually the burden of the
designer and add to the programming time.

I am sure there are more areas that a good C++ programmer has in his
arsenal.  If you write a good discussion paper on this, it would be
cool if you would share it with the list.  I know a couple people who
think I am a little nutty for choosing LC, but this would help me
explain the reasoning.

Thanks,

On Nov 29, 2010, at 12:29 PM, Devin Asay wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> In trying to explain to students how high level languages such as
> LiveCode can make development faster, I would like to give concrete
> examples of how single-line LC commands actually execute dozens of C+
> + commands in the engine. For example, a simple one-liner like:
>
> 	show field "demo" with visual effect dissolve
>
> Must have lots of lines of compiled C code behind it. Does anyone
> have any concrete examples? I may end up directing this to the
> mother ship, but thought I'd try here first.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas