New to List - Suggestions for 2D character animation?

Tom B. lvhdgc7 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 16:40:39 EST 2010

Greeting!.

I'm a Director refugee and new to LiveCode.  Glad to find this lively list-serv!

LiveCode looks promising, but I have a few questions. Hoping you can
provide answers, clues, pointers or examples...

I need to do simple 2D character animation. Mostly it is lip sync
based on changing faces based on a timer (as opposed to a timeline
animation technique). Anyone doing lip synced characters or timed
audio sync with onscreen action?

My idea is to have the different face graphics aligned on a card with
all but one set to invisible. Then have a handler start the audio
(mp3), track the milliseconds passing, and toggle the visibility of
the correct face based on how much time has elapsed. Does that seem
workable in LIveCode or will this end up looking like lip sync in a
Godzilla movie?

Are there significant latency issues with screen redraw or audio that
will be a problem? Is there a better way?

Thanks,
Tom Bodine