MySQL and open source

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Sat Nov 27 02:48:35 EST 2010

On 11/27/10 3:38 AM, "Mark Schonewille" <m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After reading the discussion about MySQL and open source, recently, in which
> people argued that open source is not free and that MySQL actually is more
> expensive than a commercial product, I decided to call Oracle and ask them for
> their opinion. You can read the result of that conversation on my blog at
> http://blog.schonewille.tk

Hi Mark,

Some comments

1)  In article absolutely not clear is  who is that "right person".
       Is it sales-person, lawyer, or a PHP/Java developer?
       Why not point his name and position?

2)  I did  think you will provide note of phone talk,
Instead you try do extrapolation of own understanding.

So far not clear where are EXACT words of that person.
and where is your own (words /  ideas / understanding).

Your words in court will not have any sense.
As well as your article. Only  License, and lawyers words will count.

3)

> In a third example, I make commercial software, which needs to have MySQL
> installed. My customers can use my commercial software, for which they do need
> to buy a license, in combination with the MySQL database engine, for which
> they don't need to pay. Because the MySQL engine is not embedded in my
> commercial software and I don't redistribute MySQL together with my software,
> I don't need a commercial license for MySQL and neither do my customers.

I believe in FAQs of mySQL exactly this example was pointed as MUST to be
paid  by any side (developer or his client)

EVEN Applications that use only **mySQL Client** -- was told to be paid.

May be Oracle have relax requirements...

4) You write many words about if you need give sources to customer.

In fact GPL require you just put your sources on FTP for use by anybody, not
only by your customers which have pay you.  Look on sites of all open source
GPL projects. You can see on download page - binaries and sources.
Nobody should even ask you.  You should self upload sources the same time as
binary. But not on request.

5) Developers which self produce GPL software - yes are in safe mode.

Developers which want sale own software, as many Revolution developers here,
which buy Revolution, then spend months to develop own application...
Do they want upload to own FTP sources of own project for public to allow
easy copy it by a competitor?  I think such people do not want.

I think e.g. Trevor is one of such developers. He do not want put sources of
his commercial projects ...

6)

> If you decide to pay for a MySQL license, you don't actually pay for the
> software. The software is open-source after all and can't be sold without
> offering the source code.

Mark, excuse me, this is strange.

I already have explain why.  If you go by commercial license of mySQL,
and pay, then you pay price PER SERVER.

So you have made APP. If you sale 100 copies, you pay them 100*$2000,
If you have sale 1000 copies, you should pay  1000*$2000

And this is not payment for support. Because for support you will pay for
e.g. TIME or Incidents,  not related to number of deployed copies.

So no need for philosophy you try argue in that paragraph.
You pay for EACH copy of software.  POINT.

>  If Oracle Corporation would ask loads of money for
> the software only, someone would decide to compile the binaries and offer
> them for free, together with the source code. Anyone could do so.

============
Its PERSON OF ORACLE have told you that anybody can compile source and offer
them ???  Or this is your own understanding?

They why you think Trevor was said to pay in bulk 2000$ for each server?

Then lets all together, will make binaries of mySQL and start sale it at
price 1000$ ?   -50%  comparing to Oracle. You will cut all sales of Oracle
then :-)   You think you really can do this??   :-)

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin
VP Engineering and New Technology