ANN: Grapple Released

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Thu Nov 25 19:28:50 EST 2010

  [If revision control of a publishing team's documents are not your
thing, please ignore.]

Grapple, Really Simple Revision Control for Indesign Files

  has been released. (Mac Only)

Please, if you have time and interest (and use InDesign and have a
server on the LAN) feel free to read and download and test:

This page is so far unpublished.

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/livecode/grapple/

Being an xTalk hacker for 30 years, my stuff rarely reaches the point of
being made available for general use, so I imagine there are many GUI -
HIG and general deployment framework flaws. So, I put out a "no holds
barred" invitation for constructive criticism.

Note that Grapple is a pretty simple widget, code wise... not more than
600 lines of core handlers in the stack script. It just uses shell "cp"
and "mv" to manipulate files on the server and the local user's
documents folder. But, it leverages 40 years of experience in a team of
editors, so we know what is needed and it works. Minimalist UI and
simplicity were key requirements...

For the Livecode community it is again, a ho-um simple gadget, but for
some publishers it could be a God send, especially if they have not
pulled out of the nose dive of file management post Adobe's "end of
life" for Version Cue.

Anyway, being in the non-profit, help-the-world business, I wanted to
offer this to everyone, Live Code developers included. If you have
friends or know people in the publishing business, you could adopt
Grapple and then become the point person for support.

This could get you a toehold into the publishing production world where
they could use LiveCode widgets all over the place and promote LiveCode
to another "vertical market" that really needs it while getting paid to
create cool stuff to make life easier for journalism.

Sivakatirswami

Have Fun, You Are Immortal Being