Data Grids Stop Working

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Wed Nov 24 09:51:57 EST 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 12:04 AM, Paul Looney <support at ahsomme.com> wrote:

> Many times, on many stacks, data grids have simply stopped working -
> without any warning or error.
> The line of code they fail to execute is this, or similar:
>
>   set the dgText of grp "Data Grid" to vTheList
>
> The code may have worked for months before is fails.
> The only solution I've found is to delete the existing grids and replace
> them with new ones. Doing so, without any code changes, fixes the problem.
> I don't have a recipe. But, so far, the problem has only come up while
> working in the IDE.
> It has appeared on different computers (all Mac), with different OSes (OS X
> 10.4.11 through OS X 10.6.4) and assorted versions of Rev/Livecode (4.0
> through 4.5.1).
> Advice/suggestions appreciated.

I would be very surprised if the data grid just stopped working without
something having changed in your project. The next time you see this happen
trying putting a try/catch block around your code that sets the dgText. What
is reported?

try
  set the dgText of grp "Data Grid" to vTheList
catch theError
  put "Whoops, something went wrong:" && theError
end try

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Learning Systems