How do you programmatically create an empty database?

Jonathan Lynch jonathandlynch at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 16:46:17 EST 2010

Honestly, I am still just trying to get my head around using databases.

I use Rev for processing text in all sorts of creative ways at work - vastly
increases our productivity - but, I know next to nothing about database use.

The logical process, to me, would be the following:

- Create database file
- Populate it with columns
- Set up my application to use an embedded database app to write and
retrieve data as needed

Say, for example, if I wanted to experiment with Valentina (knowing that the
demo version only lasts 10 minutes before the app has to be restarted). I
could not fool around with it, without having an existing file to work with.

So, I thought to myself, my first step must be to create a database file. I
am not committed to doing it in a script, I just don't know how else to
access the embedded database driver functionalities.

Should I just find a blank database file somewhere on the web and download
it?

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Mark Schonewille <
m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com> wrote:

> Jonathan,
>
> That depends on the database you want to use. If you use MySQL then the
> answer is yes, although it might be possible to write new database files
> directly to the MySQL directory and restart MySQL (for which you will also
> need to use the shell function).
>
> Why are you so keen on creating a database file by script?
>
> --
> Best regards,
>
> Mark Schonewille

> Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
> KvK: 50277553
>
> How to receive a free Color Converter license http://qurl.tk/kv (read the
> conditions)
>
> On 23 nov 2010, at 22:24, Jonathan Lynch wrote:
>
> > Thanks, Mark.
> >
> > I am not talking about a database on a server. I just want to create a
> > database file on a shared drive. Would I still need to use a shell
> command
> > for that?

Do all things with love