Stack size

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Nov 23 14:30:47 EST 2010

On 11/23/10 3:04 AM, FlexibleLearning wrote:
> As data is added to a particular stack, LiveCode runs the risk of running
> out of memory. Has anyone figured out how to check this programmatically, or
> is it a question for Edinburgh?

I'm not sure you can do it exactly. You could check the size of the file
on disk, add an estimated percentage for miscellaneous overhead, and
then use the hasMemory() function to find out the memory still
available. The docs have some caveats on using that function, so read
those. There may be a shell call you could use instead.

But I think the engine should be swapping the file to virtual memory as
needed, and to be honest, I've never seen a stack that won't open. But
my stacks aren't all that huge.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com