LiveCode Personal Banner

Peter Haworth pete at mollysrevenge.com
Sat Nov 13 12:41:21 EST 2010

I agree it wasn't a surprise, but sometimes the reality of things
doesn't match expectations (there's no mention of the banner staying
on the screen for 10 seconds).  At this point, I have no plans to
offer my application for commercial use but I  ought to be able to run
a standalone on my own computer without the banner appearing, or at
least not for 10 seconds, every time I start the app.  Running my own
app on my own computer is not "commercial use", unless I charge myself
for the app ( I don;t think I can afford it though!).

This whole commercial use thing is fraught with loopholes I think.
For example, let's say I develop some killer utility code in the
personal version that is generically useful for lots of LiveCode
developers and I sell it in the form of a stack file.  The developers
pay me money, incorporate the code into their apps, build a standalone
in a Livecode version that allows commercial distribution, and sell it
on to their customers.  Am I breaking my license agreement?

Personally, I think there should still be a license key that ties
LiveCode Personal to a specific computer, both the IDE and any
standalones built with it.  Then my standalones won't display the
message when they run on my computer but they will on any other.

I'm pretty much going back to 4.0 for now, at least to build
standalones.  I don't have a use for the new features on 4.5 and using
4.0 allows me to build standalones that don't bug me.  Of course at
some point, I won;t be able to continue doing that as more
enhancements are incorporated into LiveCode, but for now it works fine
for me.

In the generals scheme of things, this isn't a big deal, LiveCode is
still a great way to develop applications, it's just that licensing
methods have always been a pet peeve of mine.

Pete Haworth